The carvers came, they saw, they sculpted (and we celebrated!) Our 14th Annual Bloor-Yorkville Icefest was an energy-filled weekend, as we embraced the winter season, by bringing Hollywood North. Over the course of the two-day event, guests explored the glittering sculptures, relaxed in the DJ lounge and Muskoka-style warming area, participated in the scavenger hunt, and enjoyed offerings from a variety of on-site vendors. Of course, no season of Icefest is complete without the Sassafraz Ice Carving Competition, which allows carvers to compete for the three People’s Choice Awards! Welcoming forty thousand people, Icefest is a fantastic way to bring the community together while supporting the Heart & Stroke Foundation. We’re proud to say this year’s event raised approximately $7,000!
To wrap up this season, we’d like to thank not only the guests who came out and braved the elements, but also our generous sponsors, talented carvers, and participating vendors. The participation and effort put forth by everyone involved helped to create the fun and enthusiastic atmosphere throughout the Village of Yorkville Park. This year’s sponsors were:
Gold: The Holt Renfrew Centre, Hudson’s Bay Centre, TD Bank
Silver: Manulife Centre, The Colonnade
Bronze: Yorkville Village, Roots, Sassafraz
Radio and Print Sponsors:
Indie88 & Toronto Star
The talented ice carvers arrived on-site full of energy and excitement for the day; it was great to see their interpretations of Hollywood North come to life! Congratulations to the three winners of the People’s Choice Awards, as voted on by event guests.
First Place: Tyler Hayes sponsored by GYRA (Greater Yorkville Residents Association)
Second Place: Fred Marquina sponsored by InsideOut Physiotherapy & Wellness Group
Third Place: Mike Houle sponsored by Yorkville Design Centre
These three talented carvers received cash prizes of $850, $600, and $350 respectively, and also received generous $350 gift cards from Roots Canada. Many thanks to the rest of the Sassafraz Ice Carving Competition sponsors:
2 Bloor Street West & Cumberland Terrace, Aldershot Landscape Maintenance, BT/A, Guild Electric Limited, Kitchen Stuff Plus, Sassafraz, Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville, Wine Rack, & Yorkville Village.
We’d also like to thank our Exhibition Sponsors whose sculptures were placed throughout the Village of Yorkville Park and surrounding areas. These sponsors include: Holt Renfrew Centre, Hudson’s Bay Centre, TD Bank Group, 11 Yorkville/Metropia, Cresford Developments, Black Goat Cashmere, German Consulate Toronto, Gum Gone Graffiti Gone & Underground Pressure Washing, Harry Rosen, Manulife Centre, MK Illumination Canada East INC, Minto Communities Canada, NKPR,Colliers, Renaissance Court, Sassafraz, The Art of Dentistry, The Colonnade, The Hazelton Hotel, Yorkville Village, Nobis, & Q Esthetics.
The winners of the Bloor-Yorkville Prize Packages are Carla R. from Toronto and Mark H. from Markham. These prize packages included generous donations from local restaurants and retailers:
1st Prize Package: Approx. Value $1500
- Skincare & Beauty Package + 1 Hour Make-Up Application from THE DETOX MARKET, 96 Scollard St, (Value: $650)
- Q Max Facial from Q ESTHETICS, 24 Bellair St, (Value: $325)
- Two Toronto Maple Leaf’s Tickets from 11 YORKVILLE / METROPIA, 11 Yorkville Ave, (Value: $319).
- Dinner for two at MATISSE RESTAURANT & BAR, 90 Bloor St. E, (Value: $150)
- Three class series from SOUL CYCLE, Yorkville Village, 55 Avenue Road (Value: $75)
2nd Prize Package: Approx. Value $700
- Ten class series + Journal from MINDSET BRAIN GYM, 62 Cumberland St, (Value: $210).
- Four VIP Passes to THE ROM, 100 Queens Park, (Value: $182).
- Two $50 Gift Certificates from HEMINGWAY’S RESTAURANT, 142 Cumberland St, (Value: $100)
- $100 Gift Certificate from KITCHEN STUFF PLUS, 773 Yonge St.
- Wellness Package from Lolë: 1 premium yoga mat, 1 set of yoga straps and 1 premium Lolë water bottle, 88 Yorkville Ave, (Value: $90)
- $50 Gift Certificate from CAROLE’S CHEESECAKE, 114 Cumberland St.
Again, thank you to everyone who came out to support this event, donated to Heart & Stroke Foundation, and brought your positive attitudes to the weekend. We’ll see you next winter! All photos by Jesse Milns.